Thomas Brentnall, 9th Mayor of Middlesbrough, England
In 1802 John Brentnall married Hannah Hickton in Ilkeston Derbyshire and
they had 12 children.
Sometime around the middle of the century several of the brothers moved
to an emerging town called Middlesbrough in the North East of England. It
was a town that was being built around the newly created iron and steel works
and was based on the banks of the River Tees.
Thomas Brentnall, born March 15 1814, the sixth child of John and Hannah,
established a grocers shop at 48 Suffield Street and also one on Sussex Street
in what is known as the St Hilda’s area of Middlesbrough. Younger brothers
Henry and Fred apparently also worked in the shops.
Thomas married a lady named Susannah and they owned a house in Dacre Street
and it is recorded that he also later owned a house and gardens in Linthorpe
Road (more upper class). Between 1854 and 1868 he was a town Councillor and
an Alderman from 1858 – 62. He was elected onto the Education Board (supported
by the Methodists) and having been a leading figure in the governing and development
of the growing town, in 1862 had the distinction of becoming Middlesbrough’s
9th Mayor. At this time Middlesbrough had a population of just over 18,000
people. For his contribution to the town, Thomas had a street named after
him. He died in 1891 aged 77 and is buried in Middlesbrough.
His name lives on in the street name and the shop units that are now built
there (the original buildings were demolished several years ago). The
multi-storey car park that is on the other side of the street was originally
called Brentnall Street Car Park and many still refer to it by that name despite
having its name recently changed to celebrate a more well known son of Middlesbrough.
It is now known as Captain Cook Car Park!!
I am not aware if Thomas and Susannah had any children but it would be great
if any of his descendants could fill us in with any more details.
Return to Home Page